HANCEVILLE, Ala. — Parents and guardians of homeschooled children in the area will have an extra resource for studies next year. Wallace State Community College is offering a number of courses tailored for homeschooled students.
Starting in January, two series in art and music will be offered for a total of six separate classes. Students can enroll in one or both series or in individual classes from the series. The fee is $25 per series or $10 per class. The classes will be held on Fridays from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., in the Burrow Center for Fine and Performing Arts.
“This is a new venture for us,” said Melinda Edwards, Wallace State’s Dean of Institutional Outreach. “Homeschool groups seek enrichment opportunities and we have instructors at the college who can meet that need.”
The first series of classes will be geared toward art and will be held Jan. 24, Jan. 31 and Feb. 7. The second series of classes will be geared toward music and will be held Feb. 28, March 7 and March 14.
The Art Series ($25 per series or $10 per class) will include:
- Fundamentals of Drawing on Jan. 24: students will be introduced to various drawing tools and techniques.
- Computer Graphics on Jan. 31: students will be introduced to use of Photoshop techniques to combine multiple images. Students are invited to bring a jump drive with images they like. Students will be given an 11-by-17 inch print of their course project.
- Painting Fundamentals on Feb. 7: students will be introduced to use of various painting tools and techniques.
The Music Series ($25 per series or $10 per class) will include:
- Reading Music on Feb. 28: students will learn notes as tones and time values, and start building on that base and broaden their ability to read music.
- Playing the Recorder on March 7: students will be introduced to the woodwind musical instrument and learn to play it through methods taught in the workshop.
- Singing on Sight on March 14: students will learn to sing the notes written with WSCC musical staff and expand their musical ability and knowledge.
Class sizes are limited and early registration is encouraged. To register, visit, wsccalumni.org and click on the Events link, or call LaDonna Allen at 256.352.8071.