HANCEVILLE, Ala. — Students interested in applying for Fall 2018 admission to Health Science Division programs at Wallace State Community College should begin preparing for the application process. There is no application fee and students may apply to multiple programs if they wish.
Seventeen of the Health Science Division’s programs will begin accepting applications on March 1, 2018. Applicants need to have applied for general admission to Wallace State and received their student number to use in the program application process. The deadline for most Health Science programs is June 1, with the exception of the Nursing program which accepts applications from March 15 to May 15.
The Health Science application process is very competitive and most programs require an ACT score. ACT exceptions are Child Development, Medical Coding, Pharmacy Technology, and Therapeutic Massage. Child Development and Pharmacy Technology require a 2.0 GPA to apply. Medical Coding requires a 2.5 GPA and an 18 in reading on the ACT or 85 in reading on the ACCUPLACER assessment. Therapeutic Massage also requires a 2.5 GPA and a 17 ACT reading score or 80 ACCUPLACER reading score.
Wallace State offers the ACT Residual test two times each semester specifically for potential students who need ACT to apply to a program or to use in determining where they will start in core courses at the college. The next test date is April 6 and the cost is $60. Call 256.352.8248 for information about the exam.
The 17 programs offered by the Health Science division include (with the degree/certificate options and estimated time to complete):
- Child Development: short-term certificates, certificate, associate degree; one to five semesters
- Dental Assisting: certificate, associate degree; three to four semesters
- Dental Hygiene: associate degree; six semesters
- Diagnostic Imaging: associate degree; six semesters
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography: associate degree; five semesters
- Emergency Medical Services: short-term certificate, certificate, associate degree; one to four semesters
- Health Information Technology: associate degree, six semesters
- Medical Assistant: associate degree; five semesters
- Medical Coding: certificate; four semesters
- Medical Laboratory Technician: associate degree; five semesters
- Nursing: certificate, associate degree; three and five semesters
- Occupational Therapy Assistant: associate degree; five semesters
- Pharmacy Technology: short-term certificate; two semesters
- Physical Therapist Assistant: associate degree; five semesters
- Polsyomnography (sleep lab): short-term certificate; two semesters
- Respiratory Therapy: associate degree; six semesters
- Therapeutic Massage: short-term certificate, certificate and associate degree; two to four semesters
For more information about Wallace State’s Health Science Division, visit www.wallacestate.edu/programs/health-division or call 256.352.8000.