ONEONTA, Ala. — The Wallace State Community College Department of Nursing will be offering free health screenings to Blount County and area residents on Wednesday, June 13, from 8 a.m. to noon at the Oneonta campus.
The CELEBRATE Adult Health and Wellness Fair is free and open to the public. It is geared to adults 18 and up and will have at least nine different stations participants can give visit to get evaluations and information on a variety of health-related topics.
At the stations, participants can learn about:
- potential interactions with the medications they are taking, whether they’re prescribed, over-the-counter or even supplements;
- exercises they can do at home;
- vision screening and safe driving tips;
- vital statistics such as blood pressure, heart rate, pulse oximetry and blood sugar;
- relaxation techniques;
- smoking cessation;
- documenting personal and medical history; and
- signs of a heart attack or stroke
“This will be the first time we’ve traveled with this program, and we’re excited to be able to offer this in Blount County,” said Amy Burtram, a nursing instructor at Wallace State. “Our students always learn a lot during these events and they enjoy helping others learn ways they can live a healthier life.”
Burtram said representatives of St. Vincent’s will also participate in the event, performing free cholesterol screenings and dietary counselling.
For more information about the event, please contact Burtram at 256.352.8062 or email@example.com.