HANCEVILLE, Ala. — Twenty-seven students were recognized at a pinning ceremony on Thursday, May 9, for graduating from the Wallace State Community College Dental Hygiene program.
Dr. Sharon Alley, director of the Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting program, said two words came to mind when she thought of the graduating students: grace and gratitude.
“You all have worked extremely hard throughout this very long and hopefully wonderful journey,” she said. “It is trying at times, but you did it all with grace. We had a lot of changes while you’ve been in the program, from new faculty to a new program director and you’ve handled it with grace. When my answer as new program director was sometimes ‘I’m not sure, but I will find out,’ you extended grace and I’m very thankful for that.”
Dr. Alley said she and the faculty were grateful to have been their instructor but to also have the pleasure to get to know each of them.
“I’m so proud of your accomplishments, from never having an incomplete in clinic to a 100 percent pass rate at the last exam a few weeks ago,” she said. “You all will do amazing things and our profession is lucky to have you as members.”
Awards presented at the ceremony included the:
- Irene Newman Award to Makenzie Smith of Cullman; the award recognizes excellence in preventative oral healthcare
- Academic Excellence Award to Beth Ignatiuk of Huntsville, Maleah Moss, Jacklyn Protz of Arab, and Bekah Sewell of Pinson; the four shared the award recognizing the highest scholastic average.
- Hu-Friedy Golden Scaler awarded to Tori Hunt of Gardendale, recognizing clinical excellence
- Colgate Star Award to Laeia Brandon of Meridianville, Ala., recognizing total achievement
Awards previously awarded included the:
- Dental Hygiene Award to Lacey Oliver of Russellville
- Dental Hygiene Club Award to Bekah Sewell
- Who’s Who Award to Prescilla Reese of Lacey Springs
- Thomas P. Hinman Scholarship to Beth Ignatiuk, recognizing scholastic achievement, leadership and commitment to the dental profession
The Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting programs are accepting applications for Fall 2019 through June 1. For more information, visit those program pages at www.wallacestate.edu or call 256.352.8300.